I have always mourned the end of summer. Ever since I was a little boy I have tried to cling to summertime until the last possible moment. That final moment is coming much too quick. But, I also find comfort and joy in the return of familiar patterns and schedules that come with autumn.
Of course, this return extends beyond my own family. The life of the church takes on familiar and life-giving patterns, too. Here’s a sampling of what;
- We get back to my favorite night of the week – Wednesday – as the building is filled with 6th, 7th and 8th graders for Journey confirmation ministry. This year we’ll be focusing the 10 Commandments, the Apostles Creed, the Lord’s Prayer, and tough questions about God.
- The Sunday morning activity level will explode as more than 100 kids and many wonderful teachers gather for Sunday School to learn about and experience God’s love. Be sure to check out information about our Rally Day/Pig Roast activities in this newsletter!
- Our Sunday mornings also include two gatherings – middle school, and high school – where youth will explore, challenge, and grow their faith.
- Our Thursdays, our 11 am Bible study will be back in the saddle beginning September 19.
- We’ll continue many other ministries that reach beyond ourselves, into our community and our world.
- Best of all, we see our worship attendance increase. The Holy Spirit gathers us together for worship to praise God, to experience forgiveness and healing of Christ, and to share with each other the love God has first given us.
As much as I will miss summertime, I look forward, even more, to stepping back into the autumn patterns of church life with you.
See you in church,